I didn’t know how I should start this e-mail. First I typed: This week was
good, then I thought that sounded lame. So I then typed: We taught a lot
this week. And that just wasńt the complete truth. So this is the truth:
The week was a regular missionary week, we taught on the minimal side number
wise, but we did mark baptismal dates for 5 people. Number wise it looks
like a below average week but people wise I think we did well.
Arlindo and Neri ( are-lean-doo) (nhey-dee) Are our best right now and I
think They will be baptized this or next week. They go to church and are
making friends with the members they are both around 50 years old and know a
lot of the people in the ward cause they have lived in Campo Grande their
whole lives. Arlindo loves Soccer he was a coach for 30 years, and he
referees for our wards soccer games now and loves it. They have an
interesting story on how we contacted them. We almost never door knock, just
talk to people on the streets. This day we decided to knock at their house.
Neri was there but Arlindo was at work. She let us in and listened to the
first lesson and we gave her a book of Mormon and invited her to read and share
it with her family. We went back one more time and she asked us not to come
back because her husband was a grumpy old man and not very accepting to
religion. So we respected that and she was cut from our list of
investigators. Well two weeks later I was contacting on the road, talking to
everyone. We meet Arlindo, he gave us his address and said he would like to
hear our message. The address was familiar to us and later found out that he
was the husband of Neri, and he was a nice man accepting of the gospel. It
just goes to show that when the lord is ready to receive someone he works
through his servants. And even though I am not perfect at speaking
Portuguese, I know enough to invite people to listen.
We also have a family of 3 the mother Luxiana, was baptized when she was 16
and she’s 40 now. Sergio the father, wants to be baptized. And Luana is 16
and has a boyfriend who tries to talk her out of being baptized. They are a
great family and every time we go over to their house Luxiana has food,
pizza, hot dogs, cake and other stuff for us. Now that is how missionary
work should be! Luxiana remembered that I said I had never seen a passion
fruit so she picked one up at the store for me. She is very nice and reminds
me a lot of Sister Chamberlain.
Paul look up passion fruit and tell me what its good for. They said it has a
lot of medicinal value. And that it is good for sleeping. Here passion
fruit is called Maracuja.
The language is coming along, I think Íll be like you dad and still praying
to be better at the language even at the end of my mission. A lot of times
people here ask me how my Portuguese is doing an I start ranting about how
hard it is how bad I am and Íll go on for 5 minutes about my problems with
Portuguese then I realize that I had been ranting IN PORTUGUESE for 5 whole
minutes. So who knows. I can understand almost everything as long as it is
said clearly and loudly and directly to me. And if I cant understand, it is just
one word that I don't know and I can ask them to explain that word better.
So Ím communicating, maybe not beautifully yet, but I can get the point
across. With Elder Munaro I can talk about anything though. We talk a lot in
Portuguese. Hés cool. He has a girlfriend at home an they are planning on
getting married in December 09. Íll tell you more about him next week.
I got my Christmas packages this week. I have be scarfing down those
starbursts and skittles! Thank you!. Munaro loves starburst also. I got the
package Monday, and that day felt so much more like Christmas than the 25th
did. It was amazing. Thank you! I got a package from Justin and Lindsay too.
They are so thoughtful. They got me a bunch of Christmas candy and a little
stocking to hang. Lol. I really enjoyed the letters.
I got a bunch of Christmas cards from ward members too which were great. Boy
people love me, it feels great to know that.
Dad your joke about Blonds and Brazilians in your Christmas letter is
priceless. I cant wait to tell it to another American. Unfortunately the
joke doesn't translate very well I already tried with Munaro. Lol
Dope! I ran out of time again, next week Íll add pictures I promise. Íll
also tell you all about a nasty service project we had lol.
Well love you all lots. Thank you for your love and Íll see ya in a little
while!
Love your Missionary,
Elder Andrew Hyte
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment